I grew up in Essex, went to art school, and primarily made my living as an editorial photographer. Fifteen years ago I started making my own work, long form portrait series spending years investigating different themes within my community. This work has now been published as three monographs.
ONE DAY YOUNG, is a celebration of women as they transition into motherhood. 150 women captured in their own homes within the first twenty-four hours of having a baby. This series has had international success, winning numerous awards and has been exhibited in the UK and Internationally. HACKNEY STUDIOS is an exploration of the creative network, each artist nominating the next, leading me on a journey of authenticity discovering 150 new spaces along the way. ONE HUNDRED YEARS is a portrait series of 100 portraits every age from 1 to 100 navigates themes of aging, connection and identity.
Lewis is currently working on a new body of work. ‘The UnBecoming.’ For the first time, she is turning the camera on herself in an intimate untangling of her experience living with a chronic invisible illness and the unknown territory of menopause. For Lewis, holding space for this transition into midlife is political. These themes are taboo—both in the art world and wider cultural consciousness—and in centring them, she aims to dissect this tension and seek liberation.
Talks & Workshops
National Portrait Gallery / The Photographers Gallery / Barbican / RPS/ BA and MA talks to UK Universities
Interviews & Podcasts
- 2023 Taylor Wessing UnBecoming
- 2022 Photo Festival Melbourne 100 Years
- 2021 / 2019 Taylor Wessing National Portrait Gallery
- 2021/2020 /2019 IPE Award Royal Photographic society
- 2020 Open Walls Arles / Galerie Huit
- 2019 Kinship Open Eye Gallery
- 2018/2019 209 Women Open Eye Gallery
- Sept 2017/16 Portrait of Britain UK Touring
- May 2016 One Day Young Vogele Kultur Zentrum/Sweden
- Birth Rites Collection
- National Portrait Gallery
- Parliament / 209 Women